Every system teaches you something. Even bad ones.

Introduction

I have played many systems, from narrative focused games to more simulationist games. Over time my tastes have changed from wanting the rules nearly out the picture to wanting the rules to be the focus of the game. Nowadays it leans somewhere in between. Here is a list of all the games I have played and what I learnt from them. 

The Games

  • Dungeons and Dragons 5e: advantage is a great mechanic for simply adding to a roll with little tracking. 
  • Pathfinder: It's very hard to make a one-trick pony so every character has at least a dozen toys.
  • Shadowdark: The perfect amount of character abilities (at least from the get-go) is 2.
    From The Arcane Library's website

  • GURPS: I love how the numbers are done in the beginning meaning once character generation is done, you just need to look at your sheet. 
  • Dungeon Crawl Classics: I love level 0 as it answers the only question a backstory should have and that's why are you here.
  • Troika: Give your players weird and cool toys and adventures will always feel fresh. 
  • From Melsonian Arts Council's itch page

  • FIST: partial success is great and the d6 is the best and only dice. 
  • Kal Arath: combat is fast with fantastic solo procedure.
  • Ironsworn: I like how moves are good ways to deal with the 'now what?' feeling i get in solo.The tables are also great. It is a good use of the PbtA engine.
  • From Shawn Tomkin's itch page

  • Ronin (mork borg hack): A game that only has rules for what it needs and no more fascinate me. this is a inspiration my design philosophy.
  • Old School Essentials: I love a modular game and how easy it can be taken apart and OSE is a great example. Also the layout is unparalleled.
  • Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2e: I like 2e as it has many unique monsters which I like. 
  • From the Forgotten Realms wiki


  • Basic Fantasy: I love open source and ascending AC.
  • Blood and Treasure: This game is the game that made me truly grok the OSR.
  • Worlds Without Number: The GM is a player too so they should have cool minigames behind the screen.
  • From Kevin Crawford's Drivethrurpg page

Conclusion

There are many tabletop games out there. People have their opinions and people may only stick to one type of game be that PbtA, OSR or 5e or any other acronym of choice. I believe that all games can teach you something. Some of these games I play currently. Some I never want to touch again. But all taught me something. This is my "Appendix N" of games. I do hope to expand this list over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction